November 05, 2007

Draw 15 tubes of Blood


After suffering hives for more than 2 month, I finally have a chance to see allergist on Nov 1. That morning, I didn't eat anything before visit the doctor (in case I need to do the allergy test). But when the doctor finish the conversation with me, he told me that I have a "Idiopathic Urticaria". And in order to find out the real problem, I need to draw blood for further diagnose. Since I didn't eat anything before I went to see the doctor, I decide to go to the lab directly.

After I arrived the lab, wait for about 40 minutes. Finally is my turn to draw blood. The first thing that lab technician told me is: do you know that we have to draw "a lot" of blood?
I said: what?
She said: your doctor assigned a lot of test, so we need to draw a lot of blood, can you handle it?
I said: un..I don't know, but I didn't eat anything today, and I thought I shouldn't eat anything before I have the test.
She said: I don't know about that, you suppose ask your doctor before coming here. But it is about 15 tubes. Let me see how can I colorize it. (then she start counting).
I said: Yeah, my doctor know that I haven't eat anything, so I guess I will be okay. And there is a bakery next door, I can go there and get something to eat after this.
She said: We only responsible to draw blood, not providing food. Are you sure you can handle it?
I said: I think so, lets do it.

When she put the needle into my skin, I didn't watch. But after I felt she start drawing blood, I start watching. So she asked: You like to watch it, don't you?
I said: Yeah...because it is really interesting to see my blood just pop out tube by tube.
She didn't say anything..
After a while, I kept in chatting mode that told her that I only don't like to see the moment needle put into my skin, but I like to see blood going out...blah blah blah.
Then after she finished the process in less than 3 mins.
I said: That's it? (
I was surprised how fast that is...)
She said: Yes, that's it...you have a good vein. Then she gave that Garfield bandage :).

After that, even I haven't eat anything since wake up, I didn't feel dizzy or anything.
2 days later (Saturday morning), my
allergist called and told me one of the possible cause of the hives is because I have "Hashimoto's thyroiditis". This is not a bad illness, but I finally realize why I can sleep more than regular people.

No comments: