April 23, 2005

What is GAKI?

GAKI is the nickname of National Taiwanese Chung-Hsing University Chorus. According to older gakis (member of our chorus all called GAKI), it is a Japanese expression for the "hungry ghosts". Besides singing, we also love to eat, and we always try to come up some special events just for us able to get together and EAT! I was a member, now is a alumni. We have total 53 generation at this moment, and this summer, they we will have a East Cost reunion in New York City. We like a big extended family. When I move down to New Jersey, Gloria (she graduated 20+ years ago, tool care of me - BIG TIME).

Today, I went to another alumni's house for a meeting and practice for the coming event. It is really fun to sing, although we didn't really "practice" a lot of songs...more like get together and EAT!! It feels good to sing with people, and I can't wait to see my old friends come visit from Taiwan (don't know how many people will be here).

GAKI also means "BRAT" in Japanese. Yes! I am a brat! Co'z my grandpa used call me "gaki "and call my youngest sister "otoko" (in Japanese means BOY). Why my grandpa knows Japanese? Because Taiwan was a colony of Japan for a while. Grandpa die in my 1st year in college, and after that, my e-mail accounts, screen name and BBS nickname is "GAKI".

No comments: